SN | Felix^3 | SN SN | Felix^3 | SN

Hahahaha we're all so silly

Bjra and xkore haven't even started yet, its hilarious. I realized the due date was tomorrow and i've just been running with a random idea I picked up.

This song is good but its definitely not one of your best. It's really missing the atmosphere, but it sounds like it has potential. The lack of inspiration here is fairly noticable (but I think its more noticable in mine anyway :P)

I MAY BEAT YOU YET.

SessileNomad responds:

yeah i didnt have time to really put it together the same way that i usually do my tracks, with the crazy drums and whatnot

i thought i did a good job with the atmosphere dammit! those choirs are tasty as fuck

meh yeah it could be better though

Tomorrow is Coming... [ADM_R3] Tomorrow is Coming... [ADM_R3]

Interesting Melodic Style

I still like Red Light District better though. Production here is good, other then excessive loudness. The bass synth seems a little overdone too, since its the same as every other trance song. The drumloop could use a few more elements. The overall beat here is good, but again the execution could use some improvement. Overall this song was well made, but its just so generic that it loses a lot of points. If you can take the quality of the song and apply it to a more unique and creative style, I think the results would be very impressive.

7/10
4/5

[DJ_ITD] - Red Light District [DJ_ITD] - Red Light District

If this is what I'm up against

I am so fucked. The intro and outro are terrible, but the melody is beautiful, as are the synths, and the production is superb beyond all reason. Unfortunately you still only get an 8/10 because despite all the epic potential for pure awesome this song has, I don't think you executed it particularly well. I am, however, dearly tempted to try and remix this... a pity I don't have any time to do so :C

djInTheDark responds:

No don't worry, this isn't what I'm using. Like I said before in the thread, I didn't want to start working on it until the next match started, due to the fact i had an extra week. I liked your submission to, it had soul. I'll review it as soon as I get around to it. I'm making something thats been sitting around in my head a while. It will be much, much, MUCH better that this. Muhahaha!!!...

xKore - Serenade (Beta Mix) xKore - Serenade (Beta Mix)

Why Aren't You Signed

And furthermore, how the hell does this have a score of 4.24 when it is quite possible the most amazing trance song I've ever heard submitted to NG. My only complaints are stylistic - I hate ridiculous sidechaining. However the rest of the song is so insanely amazing I'm still going to give you a 10/10, fav the song and fav you.

10/10
Added to favorite artists

SN | No Purpose Flour | SN SN | No Purpose Flour | SN

This is Genius

This song has left me stunned and in awe. You're talent in crafting soundscapes and melodies is beyond almost the entirety of newgrounds. This is a drum and bass song that sounds beautiful, which in of itself is a feat I previously thought impossible. I would strongly encourage you to look into alternate genres that would benefit from your amazing melodies.

The glitching and effects in here, while consistent with the genre of Drum'n'Bass, serve only to distract the listener from the pristine brilliance of the actual song. The drum lines themselves are extremely well crafted and fit into the song nicely, its the effects themselves, bizzare noises and glitching that take away from the song.

1:07 is simply divine. It is just fucking DIVINE. I would have taken more points off here because of the distracting effects, but I can't give you anything lower then a 9/10 if listening to your song made my jaw drop.

9/10
Added to favorite artists

SessileNomad responds:

horray

the effects, i admit could have been tailored a little better to compliment the track

glad you liked it man, i remembe rthe last track i did for the contest you were like "wtf does no one var their drums anymore!" lol

peace out, thanks for the review

_edit_

oh yeah about the exploring genres thing, ive done a lot of exploring, ill probably explore out of IDM sooner or later

-Orr- Colony -Orr- Colony

Superb

The piano notes seem to go a bit too high - pianos almost never sound good played that high. Maybe bring it down an octave? The piano sample in general doesn't sound particularly impressive, actually.

Of course, that's nothing compared to the awesomeness of the rest of the track. I can't even keep track of the plethora of chords you throw the melody around in. The song is extremely varied and yet is able to sustain a theme throughout the entire piece, and does a superb job blending rock and orchestral genres, although I didn't hear much electronica in there (but then almost everything these days has elements of that).

The piece seems a bit quiet, but the volume is good considering its background music for a game. I still think some of the instruments could use a bit better EQ work for that professional feel. The instruments just don't sound crisp enough, and some more powerful higher frequencies would help out there a lot. I keep thinking the guitar should be a little stronger too, but I'm not sure about that.

The guitar solo near the beginning bothers me because its very empty sounding. There's just the guitar and some drums and a few quiet strings. The soundscape is really lost there and it feels unfinished.

Everything else, of course, is crazy good.

DavidOrr responds:

Awesome review! Lots of great ideas in there, I'm going to go work on some of those things and probably re-upload. Unfortunately the piano sounds I have aren't great, but I have some awesome ones in the mail as I type this, so I'll redo that once those get here, which should make a big difference. EQing has always been something I'm trying to improve, since that can really make or break a piece.

Thanks for the review, I'll be returning the favor soon!

-:YRX:- Deuz-armaggedon Demo -:YRX:- Deuz-armaggedon Demo

Melody == Good

However, as the reviewer below pointed out, it seems pasted on, the drum loops are uninspired, and if it weren't for the gratuitous use of that horrid amenbreak this wouldn't even qualify as a DnB song. The melody does have some interesting chord progressions that I like, but never actually takes advantage of them. It never really takes advantage of anything at all, its just one random melody after another with some boring drum loops going on.

As the reviewer mentioned below, if I were to pay attention to genre here, you'd be losing major points for the fact that it's called drum'n'BASS, which implies the use of some sort of bass, which is completely absent in this song. Contrary to your expectations, there is a way to incorporate a subtle bass into this song without ruining the mood - it has to do with using reverb and carefully weaving it in and out of the main beat.

The drums in this need help. They barely change at all and they aren't even interesting to listen to in the first place. There are 3 drum samples used. Three. A kick, a snare, and a hat. That is just not going to cut it. This is DnB for crying out loud, you need varied, interesting drums with a significant presence, which should enhance the soundscape instead of intruding on it.

6/10
4/5

YouriX responds:

sorry i changed the submission. So your review is irrelavent now :P

_I Promise_ _I Promise_

LIMITER ABUSE

Even with the seriously massive production problems in this song (as a suggestion, next time you don't have time to mix a song, just lower the volume), I like many of the melodies that are going through here. The melody really makes you feel like things will get better, and it's got an amazing soundscape behind it. I can feel that there's a story behind this song, and it's done in a very creative manner.

The intro synth could use a bit of release, and i think the intro in general could use a bit more buildup via filters or something else. The flute in the intro is absolutely brilliant though. The outro, on the other hand, starts getting the right idea but ends far too abruptly and leaves the listener a bit confused. Some of this might be influenced by the serious equalization problems, of course.

So, even though the execution of this idea was absolutely terrible, it was such a beautiful idea that you still get an 8/10 and a 5/5.

vanguard182 responds:

yeah, i've always had trouble getting the mix right and then mastering afterwards, i'm still working on it. points well taken though, thank you for taking the time

MH16: Nowhere To Hide -NGAD- MH16: Nowhere To Hide -NGAD-

Needs a little work

The underlying melodic ideas in this song are very impressive, however. I think that the song would be better if it had higher production, but high quality orchestra songs are bitchingly hard to make, so I'm going to leave that out of the equation for right now.

The intro is very good, the middle is a bit questionable, and the end is wonderful, bringing the song in a complete circle. The hit at the end could be a bit stronger, though.

I think the instruments in this could use a few more dynamics, since the volumes seem a bit stiff, especially on the flute, which would have sounded far more authentic with volume changes in accordance to how it would be preformed. Overall, this is an impressive song.

FairSquare responds:

Thanks for the review!

Primordial Primordial

A MELODY!

....that is then ruined by the fact that for 90% of the song, it is simply a giant droning guitar riff that dissolves into noise. The production values in this song are at least decent by heavy metal standards, and there seems to be a hint of some rather epic guitar riffs in here, but they are painfully destroyed by the noise factor, until the song TOTALLY RANDOMLY turns into acoustic at about 3:00.... and 20 seconds later goes back into guitar riff madness.

The drums in this song are absolutely nonexistent, which I do not understand. The guitar is overpowering everything in the entire song. The drums should at least be side-chained with the guitar or _something_ to make them more then background noise.

I'd try to criticize the failed execution of what sounded like an attempt at a melody at 1:00, but at this point I'm not sure it would really matter. I do note that there are actual chord progressions in this song, which is impressive. The ideas near the 2 minute mark are at least promising but sadly are ruined because the guitar is completely out of whack with everything else. There seems ot be a song stuck somewhere under that endless guitar riff, but its been crushed by the endless noise and its impossible to make out.

5/10