Battle of the Aeons Battle of the Aeons

I'm sorry, but no. This song has a few isolated good parts, but its ridiculously repetitive and the percussion is horrific. Without a steady rhythm to normalize against, the beat becomes blurred. That said, 1:19 is REALLY cool, but it only lasts for like, 2 measures! The rest of the song is just blurred beyond recognition and has far too much crap going on.

There is no outro and the intro is extremely lacking. The song jumps into the main melody and then stays there the entire song. This never works. The mastering is impressive given simply the fact that you can hear the bass over all the other crap you've managed to fill the song with, but other then that the frequencies levels are completely unbalanced and skewed to the upper and lower ends. The song _feels_ heavily compressed, which is never good.

All you did the entire song was take the melody and go through a bunch of synths. While its a fun exercise, this is anything but ear candy and almost sounds worse then some of your earlier songs simply because its so freaking repetitive. One can argue that stylistically but when your main melody has barely any variation in it in the first place, repeating it over and over for 2 minutes straight is not enjoyable in the least. You've got to have an obvious countermelody or SOMETHING.

3/5
6/10

N3ChronoK0 responds:

NO U

Through the Myst (WF1/F77/S3C) Through the Myst (WF1/F77/S3C)

Superb

The intro here is simply pure awesomeness, although it is a common motif for epic scenes. The only real problems I have with this is the mono drums - they would sound so very much better with panning and a touch of reverb. Other then that, it's got delicious amounts of variation, a crazy good beat, unique instrument choice, and some really nice melodies. A couple of the synths sounded a bit cheesy, but I generally don't rate down for that.

At 4:25 you have an explosion of stereo-ness, the song would be so much better if that was extended to the entire song.

S3C responds:

Thanks for the good review man! I'm glad you like the ideas in this. Yeah I agree with you, a couple of the synths could have been a bit more innovative :) I was thinking of including a couple of synths that I had previously made in sytrus, thanks to the help from your guide!

Yeah, some of the percussion sounds could have been panned a bit better indeed, I know I did some panning on the second tabla and shakers in the interlude, but twas should be brought out more. As for reverb, I wanted some the drums to sound close in comparison with the distant, reverbed strings, piano, and a few of the synths. ^^

I might recreate the stereo atmosphere more throughout, it was mainly that thickly chorused string pad in the end.

anyways, thanks a lot for the review man!

Flub Flub Flub Flub Flub Flub Flub Flub

NEEDS MORE FLUB >C

FLUB FLUB FLUB FLUB FLUB FLUB FLUB FLUB FLUB FLUB FLUB FLUB FLUB FLUB FLUB FLUB FLUB FLUB FLUB FLUB FLUB FLUB FLUB FLUB FLUB FLUB FLUB FLUB FLUB FLUB FLUB FLUB FLUB FLUB FLUB FLUB FLUB FLUB FLUB FLUB FLUB FLUB FLUB FLUB FLUB FLUB FLUB FLUB FLUB FLUB FLUB FLUB FLUB FLUB FLUB FLUB FLUB FLUB FLUB FLUB FLUB FLUB... yeah.

We Believe Ep.7 - F-777 We Believe Ep.7 - F-777

COMPRESSION?!

I consider your megamix to be some of the greatest dance music I've ever heard, but as you got closer to episode 7, the mix started getting louder... and louder... and now the compression is literally taking away from the epicness of this song. Just reduce the volume by a couple of dB and I would give this a 10/10.

That said, the melody is beautiful, the modulation is brilliant, and you are a musical genius. Just don't fall into the loudness wars trap!

Also the "we believe" is obviously done through a cheap mic and sounds cheezy :\ Nice idea though.

P.S. I like this series so much I edited all the songs into one giant mp3 :P

It'll Be All Right It'll Be All Right

Superb

Seriously, go get hired to do music for a game company or something. This is awesome stuff, although I think the song is maybe a tad slow in some parts. A couple of extra sounds during the guitar solo in the middle might have helped a bit, or you could have gone a little farther with the intensity of the 1:10-2:10 part. You needn't make it louder - this is ambiance, but just bumped up the complexity of the atmosphere a little more. The trick is to keep new tidbits of sound going in to stimulate your listener without going overboard (something I'm not particularly good at :P).

Other then that, great song.

10/10

Mrmilkcarton responds:

Thanks man. I dunno about a job yet but someday hopefully.

{425} Invincible {425} Invincible

Repetative

This song isn't bad, per say, it just needs a little help.

The first thing I notice here is that the melody doesn't seem to match up with the song's feel. I would think that a melody like this, with some more variations, would work great in a less... angry techno song. It would fit an echoing piano extremely well, but instead of giving the piano the lead melody, you give it something else. *facepalm*

The songs structure is good, and isn't *too* repetitive, but you can't get away with a melody like that for an extended period of time. It doesn't help that the notes in the melody don't really seem to line up too well, and they seem discordant. The melody is just plain weird sounding in a way that bothers me. Its hard to explain how a melody is bad, there's just something wrong with it D: (I could transcribe it to figure out exactly what but I'm not THAT bored).

Oh god, the compression, and processing... The compression in this song isn't bad, but it really doesn't fit the song. Its just trying to bang against the max dB level as hard as it can, plus you either sidechained almost everything, or the compressor is making everything really obvious. The compression just kills the entire song by crushing all of the instruments together and making almost all volume variations pointless. You can really tell at the end when the compression murders the reverb. The filtering gets excessive in some parts too.

In general the song is trying too hard to be creative and cool-sounding at the same time. This is a situation where a song idea is being forced into a specific genre and trying to follow a bunch of cool things when all they do is detract from the song's potential as something completely different. Really good songs are really good because every single element in them fits together like a jigsaw.

As usual there isn't enough stereo seperation, mastering needs help, etc. etc. but those problems are present in most songs (like mine). I like the cello, btw.

A word of advice: You either be pro for being way better then anyone else or being completely different.

7/10
4/5

Michael425 responds:

Try to remember that I've only been making music for three months now.

Thanks for the detailed review though. Everything you said is pretty understandable.

*Forgotten Aura* // ZeRo BaSs *Forgotten Aura* // ZeRo BaSs

Wow o.O

While I'm not really a fan of the grindy bass stuff you put in 1:18 to 2:14, the rest of the song kicks so much ass it makes up for it a hundredfold. The whole song has an adventurous feel to it, and would be seriously awesome for a game.

10/10

ZeRo-BaSs responds:

^^ Thanks!

mindthings-Natural Shapes mindthings-Natural Shapes

Probably breakbeat more then DnB, but...

You never, ever rate a song down because its in the wrong genre. Ever. No matter what. Someone needs to screw groundpwndr's head on right, because he's the one whose got it ass backwards.

Ok, enough ranting, the song itself has a great melody, but the rampant piano tends to ruin the song due to it not being particularly harmonic. The guitar at about 1:40 is also very annoying. The song as a whole needs better mastering and some good, high frequencies on both the main synth and espiecially the drums. The drums should also be brought into the foreground more, to offset the melody's repetative nature.

I enjoy the atmosphere this song is attempting to create, but unfortunately it has a ways to go. Keep it up.

7/10
5/5 (for anti-zero bombing goodness and because certain people don't know what a good song is)

Castles In the Sky (MilkMix) Castles In the Sky (MilkMix)

Bad start, awesome middle, repetitive end

I'm not going to bash the melodic content of this song too much since its a remix, but there is still significant room for improvement, especially at the end of the song. The beginning of the song for me was very unpleasant, but that's mostly a matter of personal taste. Once you got into the melodic middle, I really started to like it, but I think the soft part was too short, and you jumped into the main portion too quickly without fully realizing the melody possibilities there.

The later half of the middle was an interesting contrast to the rest of the song, both in tune and in synth and overall feel. However, the end had the exact opposite problem as the middle - it was extremely repetitive. There was no melodic variation, the instruments hardly ever changed, and the outro was simply an echo crash. In terms of a trance song, I think you could have easily dropped out into another idea (or even the idea that was too short in the middle) in order to both extend the song's playtime and provide some much needed variation. Doing so would give you a song structure similar to A B C B C.

The end crash has an excessive amount of silence on the end as well. The mastering, of course, was very good, and overall the production quality in this song was extremely good.

8/10 - Not your best work, but not horrible, either. I also want to try and remain unbiased genre-wise.
5/5 - To counteract those blasted 0 bombers >=D

P.S. The early middle part is SO GOOD. It could have been a song all by itself, and it only lasts 30 seconds! =<

Mrmilkcarton responds:

Thank you, don't exactly have a response for it but we talked over MSN.

[MAC8]Origins [MAC8]Origins

The drums

...are not very good. Now, thats overridden by some really crazy awesome synths, but the drums have the issue of being about 2 or 3 samples and not utilizing different areas of the EQ. They are also completely mono, which all adds up to them being extremely fatiguing to listen to.

That said, you have some awesome melodies in here, and the atmosphere really feels very madness-ish.

5/5

...but t3h drums! AAAAAAA!

Mrmilkcarton responds:

Getting there but still a newb to them.