94 audio Reviews with Responses

Ice Cap RMX Ice Cap RMX

The overall soundscape in this song is very good, but I think your leads need some improvement. They all seem to be in the background of the song, and a lot of them seem very plain. I'd either add some release envelope, reverb, or delay to them. I think a lot of them would benefit from pitch modulation on the tail end of the notes to give them a more organic feeling.

Also, I'm going to whine about your kick too :3 Your kick has more presence than mine, but it seems to be missing some very low bass frequencies.

The synth you have around 5:00 is just a raw saw wave with a filter on it and it sounds very cheesy. Most of the other synths seem fine, so this is really out of place.

In general I'd suggest trying to work on the repetitive nature of the song, because your melody is only about 16 bars long, and that just isn't long enough to repeat over and over and over, not without significant variation. You might be able to give it a boost by adding a secondary melody on top of it, or possibly a counter melody. I really like the drumbs at the last leg of the song, though.

ArcaneSoul responds:

thank you for the feedback man. I actually appreciate it :)

So as for the leads, unfortunately i kind of get into the habit of using presets which i really need to stop. most of the time i at least try to edit major parts of the presets though. Sound design has always been a particularly hard point for me since i can never just get whats in my head onto the vst/software/etc. Like for example, i would of made a sort of sparkly sounding lead for this but how does one get that kind of icy feel? Sure delay and reverb helps but i tend to avoid that unfortunately. i worry too much about mudding the mix.

I'm quite surprised to not see much about the mastering in this since thats always been a point ive worried about alot. You are right though, the kick is a little weak too.

Not much else i can agree or argue here. Most of the stuff you pointed out has been long term problems i have with songs. Generic leads, repetative parts, its almost a habit. Even then though, thanks a ton for the review and like i said. Please keep doing what you're doing man :)

Main Title Heroes Main Title Heroes

Of all the NGADM songs, this one has the best intro, and I would argue that the intro and the quiet part at 1:40 are the strongest parts of this song. The rest is a good attempt at action-ish music, but isn't quite as well executed as the quieter parts. I really like the ideas the song explores, but I'm pretty sure time-constraints prevented you from really effectively exploring them. I kind of want to try and remix this song myself just to try and get closer to what you were shooting for.

TheBenjerman responds:

Feel free to remix!

Not really an attempt at action-ish music, I was aiming at that totally-overblown kind of style that you get in the main titles of action flicks, but I didn't quite hit that either.

And yeah, I had about a day to write this and if I had had more time after I got back to my studio I would have done some things differently, but I stand by it anyway!

Send me a link if you do remix. ;)

Ling Kano's Fighting Show Ling Kano's Fighting Show

I have no idea what this song is about, but I LIKE IT. I do think the guitar is a tad harsh, though.

SourJovis responds:

Thank you. I'll look at the guitar. Maybe reduce some of the high frequencies, or do something about the distortion, but still have it stand out.

Glacier Pass Glacier Pass

Apparently the guy below me doesn't understand how video game music works. This is excellent background music, although it sounds more like a cavern to me than an icey pass. The drums seem really mellow and in the background, I would recommend giving them more punch and bringing them forward in the mix. You should modify the foreground instruments to have a stronger presence as well. You have a bit of harmonic support but its really really faint and would work really nicely if it was louder and given some volume dynamics.

Acrylia responds:

Well the original working title was Ice Cave but I thought Glacier Pass sounded better somewhat. Plus, this was a quick little project, so I wasn't all too concerned with technical stuff, just getting it out.

Although, the point of some parts being very soft was not necessarily to make it be heard. When actually playing a game there are a lot of parts of the music that you don't pay any attention to, but are there supporting the entire sound of the game. Everything being soft and the bass being kind of loud is to support in-game sounds, since most sound effects in flash games are in a higher frequency. Balance will come with sound effects that a game would have.

I appreciate your review!

Crimson Night Crimson Night

The guitar seems a bit naked. Because it carries such a large portion of the intro and end, you should really bump up the reverb during that section, then take it back down as you enter the main theme to keep it from muddying everything up. Some additional *very subtle* atmosphere in terms of sound effects or other embellishments would have helped too.

I noticed one of the beginning melodies on the guitar sounds very similar to one of my ideas ;) The overall composition and structure of the song is excellent, but I feel that everything in this song would have benefited from additional reverb due to the sparse nature of the mix.

Step responds:

Heeyyyy, thanks for reviewing :3.

"The guitar seems a bit naked. Because it carries such a large portion of the intro and end, you should really bump up the reverb during that section, then take it back down as you enter the main theme to keep it from muddying everything up."

Now that's a good idea. It does sound pretty naked, yeah. I'm not used to writing pretty much anything with minimal instrumentation around it.

"Some additional *very subtle* atmosphere in terms of sound effects or other embellishments would have helped too."

If I had time I would've done this, but I wanted to submit before the competition deadline. But I can totally do that. Might help fill in the gaps in the intro/outro too!

"I noticed one of the beginning melodies on the guitar sounds very similar to one of my ideas ;)"

Hey you have like one million or something, one of my songs is bound to resemble one eventually haha.

"The overall composition and structure of the song is excellent, but I feel that everything in this song would have benefited from additional reverb due to the sparse nature of the mix."

Roger that. Glad you liked the composition!

Thanks a lot for the review man, if I find time I'll definitely work on what you mentioned! And hope that Bosa doesn't hear this before I'm done editing it.

Calm Alien Calm Alien

An excellent start for an ambient song, but unfortunately it ends up getting a bit repetative because a few of the effects, like that metallic echoey sound, end up being used too constantly and never change to an alternative soundscape. I highly recommend listening to the masterful works of Solar Fields to get a feel for how he very slowly transitions the ambiance through multiple phases in order to provide an entertaining, yet subtle listening experience: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNiD9M 59FQE

PythonBlue responds:

Constructive criticism accepted. I guess I was just trying to get myself to write longer pieces than I usually do, and got too caught up with elaboration to throw in some variety.

-A New World- -A New World-

Excellent

The song has an incredibly varied feel to it, yet succeeds in maintaining a distinct atmosphere through clever combinations of harmonic and rhythmic motifs. The production quality is incredible. It sounds like something out of a movie and far surpasses my own attempts at a similar atmosphere. I think there are places where the song could be refined, possibly with a few melodic embellishments and mixing tweaks, but its still absolutely incredible.

9/10
5/5

Step responds:

Wow, never thought I'd get a 9 from you, haha. Thanks a lot, and thanks for voting 5 too - it might just be the reason that this song got a Top 5, I owe you one.

"I swear one of the drums is clipping on a high frequency on my speakers, but then my speakers are crap anyway."

I was kinda lazy with the EQing this time, it's true :3.

"The song has an incredibly varied feel to it, yet succeeds in maintaining a distinct atmosphere through clever combinations of harmonic and rhythmic motifs."

It's something I worked particularly on. I'm pretty crappy at making long songs so I figured the only way to keep the song sounding like one song and not random, but at the same time satisfying my obsession of variety, was to grab some short drum rhythms and melodies, and repeat them in certain parts of the song. So I'm really glad you think it worked!

"The production quality is incredible. It sounds like something out of a movie and far surpasses my own attempts at a similar atmosphere."

That's thanks to East/West. And the Sonatina Symphonic Orchestra soundfonts that you shared, which are GREAT by the way.

"I think there are places where the song could be refined, possibly with a few melodic embellishments and mixing tweaks,"

Agreed on both cases. Listening to it again, I definitely think I could've added a few more melodic embellishments, especially in that part after the second chorus, and I didn't work as much on the mixing as I usually do... I get lazy sometimes :3.

"but its still absolutely incredible."

Thanks for the feedback!

Artificial Intelligence Evolved Artificial Intelligence Evolved

Pure Awesome

I don't care what anyone says about this, by the time the song hits 3:57, it contains such unbelievable amounts of win I fear the internet may implode around it. I could nitpick a couple parts of the song (especially the beginning) but the end just blows everything else out of the water.

9/10
5/5

EvilRaccoon responds:

Thanks very much Blackhole. I really appreciate that. Glad you enjoyed it!

[HP] Artificial Nature [HP] Artificial Nature

rawr

it is t3h awesomez :D

ZaronX responds:

no u r :D

::Out Of Mind:: ::Out Of Mind::

Soothing

This is a really incredible song, something ethereal that floats out of reality and takes the listener with it. This is what real music is. I hope you've found somewhere else to post your music, because you should never, ever, ever stop.

gOrc responds:

Thanks for your kindness. I actually will never ever stop to make music, it is my passion since I was 15.